Monday, February 18, 2008

The unforgettable experience in Pedraza

This last weekend we took a day trip to Segovia and Pedraza. Segovia has this awesome castle that looks like Cinderella's castle, complete with secret passages underneath...we were all in search of the one that goes back to Madrid, but to our dismay we were unable to find it. Later on, we visited the Cathedral there. There was a really cool name for it, but I can't remember right now. It was one of the first Cathedrals to be built using the Renaissance style instead of the Gothic style. They also used a different kind of stone to built the exterior, so it looks a lot lighter, and has almost a gold-ish color to it. It was really pretty! My favorite part of Segovia was seeing the Roman aqueducts...they were so cool! It's crazy how long they've lasted. I wish you could see what they looked like when they were first built. While we were waiting for some people in that plaza, I noticed a little game of soccer going on in a little corner. I watched it for a little bit, and was about to jump in and play, but then they stopped playing because some people had to go. There were a few who stayed and kicked it around and juggled, so then I asked if I could jump in and play. They looked at me as if thinking, "yea right you can play..." but they said I could, so I juggled with them for a few minutes. By the time I had to go, I think I had impressed them that an American girl could play soccer...I was pleased, haha.

Our next stop was in Pedraza, which is a really cute little town that has kept the medieval look really well...there's almost nothing that looks modern in the whole town. Needless to say, it was dead. It took maybe 10 minutes to circle around the town, and find all the streets completely empty. We had reservations for dinner for about 2 hours later, so we had to find something to keep us entertained. We took some cool pictures of the castle there, and then had fun playing those games from girls camp we are all too familiar with. We also had some fun playing hacky sac which is one of the popular past times of our group when waiting for buses or between class.

Finally, the time came for our dinner. We had been anticipating it all day. We ate at this famous restaurant there, and had an amazing 5 course meal...complete with blood sausage and roasted lamb. Here's where the story gets good...I was lucky enough to get one of the few pieces of lamb that had the testicle still attatched, so I...of course...had to eat it. One of the most culturing experiences I've had yet...and not one I plan to repeat in the future. Everyone, including myself, was very impressed that I ate it. Two other lucky girls ate one too. We also had a lot of fun playing with the pig's hoof that was still attatched to another girl's meal...we played some fun pranks with it that night. It made for some good laughs.

That's the end of this story, and as always, I'll try and get photos up one of these days. Love you guys!

No comments: