Thursday, January 24, 2008

The last week

I figured I should probably put something on here because I'm starting to forget the list I had going in my head of things I wanted to write on here. These last two weeks have seemed a lot longer than just two weeks because so much has happened! We started classes, and it's great; We have classes Mon-Thur, and always get out before 2, so that leaves plenty of time for playing! Although, our professor gives us plenty of reading to do about the History of Spain, so we are very studious as well.

During our play time, we've been able to do a lot of great things. First of all, we went to the Prado museum last week! We didn't get to spend a whole lot of time in it this first time, but I'm very excited to live so close to where we can go back often. I loved it, it's a lot of fun and very interesting to me to look at all these amazing paintings, many of which are the originals which is even better! We also went to a beautiful park nearby the museum, called the Parque Retiro. It has so many paths and walkways through trees, and there's a big lake where you can take a row boat out. We plan to go back many times, especially when everything becomes green again. We also had fun seeing Minnie and Mickey Mouse at the park, and just so everybody knows, they speak Spanish! No wonder they don't talk at DisneyLand, haha and I've wondered why all these years?!

Another evening after spending a little time walking around Madrid, a few of us went to take some pictures by the temple. It's was very beautiful at night with it all lit up, and it was really neat to me because you can feel such a difference being at the temple. The spirit definitely is there, and it was very comforting to feel that same spirit here, being on the other side of the world. I had another neat experience this week; my roommate Natausha and I planned to go with the sister missionaries to an appointment, but unfortunately the appointment fell through. Instead, we met with a girl who is also here on a study abroad. Her name is Angela, and she's from Utah, but is attending a University in Pennsylvania. She was baptized a month ago, and now being here she feels homesick or lonely a lot becuase all of her friends go out partying a lot and so she doesn't get to go out and do anything a lot of the time. It was great to meet her, and hopefully she can come hang out with all of us from BYU. Anyway, we all had a little study group with the missionaries, and talked about things we can do to get through trials, and what a strength studying the scriptures can be. The spirit was really strong, and there was an overwhelming sense of happiness and peace. It was great to see how happy everyone was, especially Angela.

About twice a week now, a few of us go up to the Universidad de Alcala's Instalaciones Deportivas, where there are basketball and soccer courts. We play a game of both usually, and it's always been combined with other people who are there. It's been really fun, not only to be playing soccer again, but we get to meet a lot of people, mostly around our age because it's where all the college kids are. The best was two days ago, we had this really old guy Jose playing soccer with us. My guess is that he was somewhere in his 60's or 70's...he was actually really good, but just couldn't move very fast, haha. It was great. I hope I last that long playing soccer!

Well, that's all that I can remember for now...I'll put some pictures up too. I hope everyone is doing well, and know that I miss you and love you all! Hasta Luego

2 comments:

Craig's Family said...

Callie, it is so great to see you having such a wonderful time. Sounds like things have been very busy, but full of really awesome experiences. We are having such fun reading the updates. Have a great rest of the week!
With love from Indiana!

Kari Clark said...

Hey Callie,

Keep having the time of your life!

Love,
Rob